U.S. News & World Report recently ranked Kingston Elementary and Old Donation School as the No. 1 elementary and middle schools in Virginia. Old Donation School, which has students in grades two through eight and is the home of the Edward E. Brickell Academy for Advanced Academics & Arts, was also ranked as the No. 2 elementary school in the state.
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
Join the AVID program! Please email Cari Huffman to receive a GNMS AVID Application.
The purpose of the Great Neck Middle School AVID College Readiness System is to restructure the teaching methods of an entire school and open access to the curricula that will ensure four-year college eligibility to almost all students by aligning the AVID WICOR strategies with the Virginia Beach City Public Schools’ Strategic Plan, which strives to equip students with skills they need to succeed as 21st Century learners and workers.
All students, and most especially the least served students who are in middle school:
- will succeed in rigorous curriculum,
- will complete a rigorous college preparatory path
- will enter mainstream activities of the school,
- will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges, and
- will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society